Thursday, February 25, 2010

Illustrations for Rick Court's Blog

Hey all,

My class in school was tasked with designing three images for Rick Court's blog, a new Dean at our school. To fully understand the images, reading his blog post about him is helpful. I will state the general aspects of each image so that they can be understood. In total, these images took about six hours to do.

The first image is based on a game that he and his friends played as kids, called Kingers. A chestnut was drilled through and attached to a string, and used to hit each others' chestnuts to see whose would break first. The one with a chestnut remaining won. Their game ended after a fire burned down the farm, and the chestnut tree was removed to make way for Mohawk College in Hamilton. Hence the fire on the string.




The next image is of a worker in a blast furnace, such as where Rick worked at Defasco in the summer as a student. The vibrant colors and dark areas really appealed to me and contrasted well I found.



The last image is of Rick's life after he joined the work force from school, becoming a banker for years. I felt that the clean, bright look to the image made it feel more of a transition for the better, in the work world.



Well, that's all I can think of. I hope you enjoyed my work. Please leave a comment if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment